Monday, September 16, 2013

Action! Cut! Take two!

Tonight, I was on the phone talking to my sister and I was talking about being in contact with parents (it's a big, important part of the job). I told her about being in touch with one parent because of low grades, and she responded by asking, "wait, haven't you only been in school for a couple of weeks?" Good question! It sure feels like it. Today started my fifth week of school. I started a month ago...weird! Time sure does fly. The school here goes on quarters instead of semesters, so the first half of the first quarter is over (if that makes sense), which means grades are already due and important (well, they're always important...).

So, my weeks have been filled to the brim with a repeat of teach, plan, sleep. Some days I feel like I'm running a marathon and just trying my hardest to get to the end bell of the day. Some days it feels like I haven't planned enough (even if I did) and like I'm trying to stretch out every second of every activity. Some days it seems like I just started when the dismissal bell rings. Planning for the time I have has always been a struggle for me. When I first started in student teaching, I discovered that I wasn't planning enough. Now I'm not sure how that happened, seeing as I have to plan double for every lesson here (40 minute lessons vs. 90 minute lessons). I manage. The kids manage. It all works out in the end. Sure, I make it up as I go sometimes (okay, it happens a lot...but to any teacher! I promise!), but I for sure try to overplan instead of underplan.

What I can't plan for, however, is health. This past Thursday and Friday, my allergies kicked into high-gear. I'm not sure why, since Fall has yet to grace South Carolina. My brain wants cool weather, colorful landscapes, boots, scarves, and pumpkin flavored things...but all my body feels is summer. (Pumpkin-flavored things are here, regardless, but it's just not the same without the weather). Anyway, so my allergies really kicked my butt on Friday and I was dragging myself through to the end of the day. I don't think I've ever been so happy to have a 4th block planning period. So this weekend, I slept as much as possible so that I could be back to normal on Monday. It worked and today went well, but man, you don't realize how much acting goes into teaching until you're doing it. I remember in college, professors would tell us that acting was a big part of our job, but I didn't get it until student teaching, when you get that first-hand realization. Regardless of how tired I am, stuffed-up I am, or grumpy I am, or whatever the case may be, I still have to be "on" and ready to teach. Sure, I could give the kids some boring worksheet exercises and sit at my desk to relax, and if I were really that sick, then I maybe would. But generally, that's not going to help anything. How are they supposed to be excited about German if I'm not either? Don't get me wrong, I'm still super nerdy about German, sick or healthy, but the way I act plays a big role into the atmosphere of the classroom. And it's hard to act when your brain just wants to go home and sleep or your body is sick and tired.

Thank God for weekends to sleep in, vitamins and cough drops, and 4th block planning.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment