Thursday, November 7, 2013

The night of the parents.

Tonight we had parent teacher conferences, which meant it was a half-day, so I had a lovely nap in the middle there. Just what I needed! The break-less time between August (start of school) and Thanksgiving is extremely taxing (and always the longest/craziest, from what I'm told).

So, parent teacher conferences went from 5-8pm and parents were limited to 10 minutes with each teacher. Before tonight, I thought that if certain helicopter parents showed up, I would have trouble keeping them under 10 minutes, but it actually was not a problem. Mostly it wasn't a problem because very few people showed up, but also 10 minutes is a fairly long time when talking about a student. Apparently there was nothing listed on the school website and no automated phone calls were made. And although all of the students were informed, they stop listening after they hear the words "half day".

With eighteen possible slots for parents, I had only seven filled. But it was good. I had some good feedback and two parents that really impressed me. They said they wanted to come just to personally thank me for taking an interest in their child and taking time to help him, which for me is just an obvious part of the job and I'm happy to do. But it's nice to be appreciated as a teacher in a society where it's becoming more and more common for the parents to side with students and blame everything on the teacher.

Now it's 9pm and my bedtime. Being at school so late just throws everything off for the next day, so tomorrow will probably be long and tiring. But I'm surviving and counting down the days to Thanksgiving, where I will have almost a whole relaxing week off to spend in Florida with my grandparents :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment