Thursday, November 21, 2013

On having a life.

Teaching is time consuming. Any teacher will tell you that--new or veteran. The job has no clear end in a day, because there are always meetings or after-school tutoring or lessons to plan or papers to grade or students to counsel or paperwork to do...I could go on. And it's not just the physical things to do that makes it so time consuming. It's hard to turn off the brain from thinking about teaching. I catch myself at all hours thinking about school, whether it's about students or the messy desk I need to organize or lessons I could do better or random ideas for future lessons--it even creeps into my dreams. At some point, I have to force myself to stop! It's well-known in the teaching world that it's important to take time out for yourself and to do things you like to do. Unfortunately, since I am in introvert, the things I like to do are to sit at home and knit or watch TV shows or something of the like, but in all of that, you can still think constantly about teaching.

So, I've been making sure to do some things outside of my apartment. I joined a small group at church and have been enjoying the new faces, fellowship, and discussions about God. I also volunteered with the church last weekend, which was fun. We taped up a house for women and children to prepare it for painting and then a small group of us went to do yardwork for an older widow. And tonight I'm going to see Catching Fire (the second movie in the Hunger Games trilogy, for those that are unfamiliar--I highly recommend the books!).

And next week is a two-day week and then it's Thanksgiving break--and boy am I thankful for that!! I'll be heading to Sanibel, FL to spend the holidays with my grandparents :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment