Saturday, October 5, 2013

I've got that school spirit!

So, this week was Spirit Week at school, which means that there were different themes for each day that we could dress as. Teachers too :-)

Monday was Pajama Day, which meant I was super comfortable all day and was allowed to walk around in my slippers all day. Awesome.
pajamas and slippers :-)
Teachers have class!

I wore my Calvin College Education Program shirt, which said "Teachers have class" on the back. My students didn't find the pun nearly as funny as I do (typical!).

Tuesday was Costume Day. Bridget let me borrow a Dirndl, since I don't yet have one of my own, so I went to school dressed in traditional German garb. Many students asked "What are you supposed to be?" and "Are you Dorothy?" Sheesh. Kids. I got some weird looks and confused looks when I explained that it's traditional clothing from Germany, but I also got a lot of compliments.
I braided my hair in two braids

My Dirndl

Wednesday was America Day, so I wore my red, white, blue (and gray) striped dress over black pants with my blue scarf that has white flowers on it.
It's kind of American-Flag-ish

On Thursday, we had 80s day. There was a whole lot of negative anticipation for this day because I guess in the past, it was Neon day, which resulted in students (for some reason) going crazy and causing a lot of problems. Neon colors and "neon day activity" was completely banned. I am not aware of any problems from this year's 80s day, so I guess we were successful at that.
You can't really tell in the picture, but I braided my hair overnight so it would be crimpy for the day
It's interesting to see these nearly-Millenium babies' perceptions of what people wore in the 80s. Instead of acid wash jeans, oversized shirts/sweaters, and skirts with leggings, there was a lot of jazzercise clothes, and they're all pretty convinced that everyone walked around like that wearing only neon colors in the 80s. Not quite, kids. Not quite.

On Friday it was School Colors day (red, white, and light blue) and students were supposed to dress like their class theme (Freshmen: Arctic, Sophomores: Jungle, Juniors: Mountains, Seniors: Beach) but a lot of people did not. I just wore my school shirt.


Last night we went to the Homecoming game (there's no Homecoming dance, though). There was a barbecue beforehand, where I ate everything without the meat, as per usual. (My students canNOT get over the fact that I don't eat meat...) Sadly we lost the game by one point, but it was still a lot of fun.

Sidenote about my vegetarianism: My students believe it is impossible for me to live here without eating meat, but that's just because they're obsessed with fried chicken and bacon. Yesterday, some of them tried to convince me to eat just the skin of fried chicken because it's not really meat and supposedly the best part. Gross. I could gag at the thought of that! They were dumbfounded when I told them that even when I ate meat, I always took the skin off the chicken because I hated that part. Gross, I don't miss that.

Anyway, it was a fun week and fun to see what the students did for each day. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. The hallways were also decorated for each class theme, which was fun to see too. I'll try to remember to take pictures of that next year ;-)

1 comment:

  1. "My students believe it is impossible for me to live here without eating ME" :D :D :D I miss you and your daystories :( Looking forward to tonight a fortiori :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete