Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Wait, this isn't my seventeenth blog post?

Oops. You don't know how many drafts I've had in my head about a new post. Always when I'm in the car or shopping at Target, but never when I'm home or have a free minute to type out a post.

This job is busy! Aside from planning what I am going to teach and how I want to do that, there are a zillion administration things that I need to do as well. I currently have a long mental list going in my head of stuff I want to get done tomorrow. Whatever date tomorrow is always gets changed on that mental list (thank goodness for mental white-out), because there just aren't enough hours!

I was writing a quick message to a friend the other night and described how I leave for work at about 6:45 in the morning, and came home every night last week between 6 and 7pm. How did I work 12 hour days? Your guess is as good as mine. It didn't feel like it. Or, I guess, it flew by so it didn't feel like it. I felt it, though! I came home every night physically and mentally exhausted, and sat on my couch for at least a half hour just sitting and enjoying the peace. This past Saturday, I purposely spent (almost) the entire day doing absolutely nothing. Self-care is really important in the teaching profession, since there's always more for us to do, and it's way too easy to take our work home with us. But don't worry, I'm not feeling burnt out. Just always happy to see my bed.

The first week flew by, and the past two days have flown by as well. Part of that is due to the newness of everything and the sheer amount of work to do and people seen. Part of that is due to the fact that we have block scheduling, where most of the classes only meet every other day, which means that two days kind of smoosh together in my head when I'm recalling the previous days. The week feels more like Montuesday, Wenthursday, and Friday.

But I'm loving it. I'm loving the kids--for the most part, they're all pretty into it and seem to enjoy my class--and I'm loving talking about German allllll the time. It's basically my nerdy dream come true!

Tomorrow night we have Open House, where the parents can come and hear what their student's classes are all about and meet the teachers. I'm nervous and excited, but hopefully the parents have only heard positive things so far ;-)

Sorry. This post is kind of rambly and weird, but I'm not going to edit it, because I'm tired and looking forward to sleeping sooner than I'd like to admit.

Thanks for tuning in...hopefully my next post won't be so far off in the distance and won't be so bizarre.

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts :) always no matter how you wrote them :)
    I am soooo looking forward to hear you in real life (please hopefully soon)
    The parents are gonna love you :)
    I miss you my nerdy-german-best friend <3

    ReplyDelete